The Honest Shotover Canyon Swing Review (VIDEO)
What is more exciting than falling into a picturesque canyon with the famous Shotover river down below? Falling into the canyon in a chair, of course! The adrenaline-filled Shotover Canyon Swing is sure to get the heart pumping while leaving you with an incredible story to tell everyone back home. How often can we say we fell into a canyon while strapped into a chair with a seatbelt on? (As if the seatbelt would actually save us.) If canyon swinging alongside rugged terrain and gliding over stunning New Zealand river landscapes sounds exciting, then keep on reading to find out why the Shotover Canyon Swing is an activity that should go on your bucket list.
The below video demonstrates my chair jump. There is a higher than average amount of screaming involved in the video. Screaming is to be expected since falling into a canyon is fun but nonetheless scary.
What is the Shotover Canyon Swing?
The Shotover Canyon Swing in New Zealand will satisfy all the adventurous at heart. The canyon swing platform is 109m high. You free fall for 60m and glide over the river for 200m in total. So where can the Shotover canyon swing be found? Yup, you guessed it. It can only be found in Queenstown, renowned for its adrenaline-filled activities. The Shotover Canyon Swing is a popular activity to do in Queenstown so be sure to book in advance. You can book online or make a booking in the shop located on the main street in Queenstown (34 Shotover Street, Queenstown, New Zealand). Arrive at the shop 15 minutes before the appointment time. Once you are all ready to go then the van will pick you up and take you to the Shotover Canyon Swing.
- Variety of jumping styles: No other canyon swing will propel you into a canyon while strapped in a chair. Or let you wheel into the canyon on a tricycle. The how you want to fall is completely up to you! There are over 70 styles of jumping. Each option guaranteed to be unique and death-defying! You can choose to jump solo or tandem (someone jumps with you) as well as decide on the style of jumping. In the van on your way to the Shotover canyon swing, a video will be shown to demonstrate the different styles of jumping. This will help you decide on how you want to jump. Some of the options include jumping in a chair, using a slide to, well, slide into the canyon, ride into the canyon on a tricycle, hang upside down while the staff cut the rope or just jump without any props.
- The incredible backdrop: The location for the canyon swing is phenomenal. You have greenery and mountains surrounding you and the Shotover river down below. Why wouldn’t you want to jump into a beautiful canyon?
- The staff: The staff are just full of banter and sarcasm. They are literally paid to taunt you but also ensure that you remain safe and enjoy the jump. They will keep the nerves at bay but they go full-blown savage on you if you aren’t showing any fear. Either way, their vibe and excitement for their work is infectious and will provide you with an amazing experience.
- It’s over too fast: Once you’re done screaming after the initial fall and realise that you’re safe, you begin to take in your surroundings. Better do so fast because the staff will reel you up immediately. The moment is fun and you want it to last for as long as possible. However, all good things must come to an end but if you do want it to last longer then you’ll be able to jump again.
Tips on how to Live Your Zoi – Shotover Canyon Swing Edition:
- There is no shortage of walking once you arrive to the Canyon Swing therefore, closed shoes should be worn. You will walk on a narrow dirt road for quite some time before arriving at the platform. Also, when you jump, you do not want your flip-flops ending up in the river down below. So closed shoes are definitely your best bet.
- The Shotover Canyon Swing costs $299. If you are short on budget but still want to have an action packed adventure then consider looking at the combo packages. You can do the Shotover Canyon Swing and the Canyon Fox and save $99. The price doesn not include photos/videos and this can make the jump(s) expensive. I would recommend only getting the muli-shot photos as this shows the whole transition of you falling in one picture. If the budget allows, then getting all the pictures and videos will set you back $80. You will receive the media on a branded Shotover USB which is yours to keep.
- If you loved jumping and want to do it again then find solace in the fact that your second time is cheaper. It will be $45 for the second jump and this way you will get to experience a different jump style.
- If you want the best photos for your social media then ‘The Chair’ jump style will be a good choice. The downward transition is shown exceptionally well in the muli-shots. For me, it was never about the photos (that was just an added bonus).’The Chair’ jump style gave me the one-of-a-kind experience I wanted.
Share your thoughts
Let me know if this article was helpful in the comment section below and if you want to try the Shotover Canyon Swing then please share this blog post with you friends. If you’re like me and love adrenaline activities, then click on here to see more adrenaline-filled posts.